Menu +/-
London Unit Colours with an unusual history

 

Colours of the 8th (Volunteer) Bn The Queens Fusiliers (City of London)zoom_in

 

 

 

The 8th (Volunteer) Bn The Queen’s Fusiliers (City of London) was formed in 1986. Proposals were put forward for a set of Colours incorporating the battle honours of both Regiments. However, It was directed that if Colours were presented, then they would conform to those of the Queen’s Regiment. A design was produced by the College of Arms. However, the Battalion was not in existence long enough to be presented with Colours.

 

Colours of the 9th Battalion the Middlesex Regimentzoom_in

 

In February 1939 the 9th Battalion the Middlesex Regiment were issued with Searchlights and were asked to relinquish their infantry role to become Royal Engineers. This they refused. With the handing over of Searchlights to the Royal Artillery the 9th Middlesex were finally ordered to become Gunners in August 1941, but all ranks still wore the Middlesex cap badge and buttons. However, the 9th Battalion Colours had already been handed over to the parish church at Ricklinghall Suffolk for safekeeping where they remained until 1947. As a token of thanks, a Battalion Standard was presented to the church where it remains to this day.

 

 

Colours of 8th Bn The Middlesex Regimentzoom_in

 

 

In 1947 the 8th Battalion the Middlesex Regiment (DCO) (TA) was converted to the airborne role as the 11th Battalion the Parachute Regiment (Middlesex) TA. Accordingly, the Colours of 8th Middlesex were handed over to 11 PARA at a ceremony on Wednesday 15th October 1947 where they remained until 11 PARA reverted to 8th Middlesex on the disbandment of 16 Airborne Division in 1956.

 

Colours of 7th (City of London) Bn The London Regzoom_in

 

 

7th (City of London) Battalion the London Regiment Colours were laid up in the Battalion church of St Botolph-Without-Bishopsgate 1965 but removed by persons unknown in or around 2010. These colours re-appeared later at ARC Grove Park, framed and mounted in the drill hall. The empty plinth remains in the Battalion Church.

 

 

Colours of Princess Louise's Kensington Regimentzoom_in

 

 

The Colours of the Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment were presented in 1908 at Windsor Great Park. With a change of arm in 1947 they became Royal Signals. However the Colours were not laid up until 2019. Up until 2014 the Colours were paraded with a Royal Signals Colour Party on appropriate occasions.

 

Colours of 17th (County of London) Battalion The London Regimentzoom_in

 

 

The 17th (County of London) Battalion The London Regiment (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) were not presented with Colours in 1908. However, whilst on active service in France their Commanding Officer presented his Battalion with a Colour that he designed and financed. The colour displays the battle honour ‘South Africa’ and is framed and mounted in the Regimental Chapel in St Marys Church Bow E3 3AH

 

Colours of The London Regimentzoom_in

 

 

Todays London Regiment was formed in 1993 and Colours were presented in 1995 at the Duke of York’s Headquarters. Within the Roundels are four swords representing the four Rifle Companies whose badges appear on the Regimental Colour. Neither the Queen’s or the Regimental Colour carry any Battle Honours.

 

Colours of 10th (County of London) Battalion The London Regimentzoom_in

 

 

The 10th (County of London) Battalion The London Regiment (Hackney) were presented in 1921 complete with WW1 Battle Honours. However, the colours shown were auctioned in 2019 with the dates given as 1912 – 1920 and appear correct in every detail except there are no fringes and do not appear to have been have been mounted on staffs. Why they were never used is a mystery.

 

 
<